Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Persist.

Not long ago, I read a post by one of my favorite authors and modern-day philosophers, Seth Godin. He points out that anything worth doing is met with resistance. If it wasn't, remarkable vision and genuine insight would lose its value.
“...whatever it is, the forces for mediocrity will align to stop you, forgiving no errors and never backing down until it's over... The yin and yang are clear: without people pushing against your quest to do something worth talking about, it's unlikely it would be worth the journey. Persist.”
I've found this to be true in my own life. Whether it be running three strenuous miles while fighting off a cold, or putting video games and Scrubs aside to work on sharpening design skills, there are no shortcuts to success. Even failure is success if you tried... it's worth it in the end.

8 Comments:

Blogger lydia said...

I love this post, Mike. It's true what Seth says and I am so glad you have found inspiration from what he had to say and you have already applied it in your life.

Thanks for tuning me into his blog, too. I read it every time there is a new post, and it is nice brain boost in the middle of the day.

9:49 AM, April 09, 2008  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

Thanks honey! I know what you mean about the brain boost. I think he posts every day, I always look forward to it!

10:21 AM, April 09, 2008  
Blogger Jenny said...

Wow, very powerful and so true.
I need to check him out.

12:08 PM, April 09, 2008  
Blogger VTS said...

I read this right before I left to go out with some friends. It was on my mind the whole time. It's something I already know, but have to be reminded of it again and again.

Every really good thing that has come into my life has been through intense effort. There's definitely a pattern there.

Thanks for the inspiration, Mike. I've missed your blogs.

8:53 PM, April 09, 2008  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

Thanks for the comments Jenny and Vanessa. I'm glad that I still have readers despite my sparse activity!

True what you say about intense effort Vanessa. It's hard to find that extra motivation sometimes, especially when you know it requires sacrifice. Ironically, I think it's the sacrifice that amplifies the intensity of your motivation.

9:29 AM, April 10, 2008  
Blogger Natalie said...

Persist. Thank you, I think I might.

5:49 PM, April 12, 2008  
Blogger Emily and Clay said...

Indeed! I printed this quote and have it hanging by my computer at work. Thanks!

11:27 AM, April 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that quote; very true and thought provoking. It's so easy to fall into the rut of mediocrity. Sometimes it feels quite restful, actually, but it's persistance that really excites the best that is in us.

Love you!

10:51 PM, April 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home