Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Using Internet Explorer? Time to switch!

As you know, I am a web designer. One of the most frustrating parts of my job is testing to make sure the code I write sits well across a variety of web browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc... and also in different versions. Most of my code is pretty bullet proof until it gets to Internet Explorer, particularly version 6. All versions of IE are fundamentally flawed in that they do not render the web as it should be rendered. If it shows up correctly, it means that some poor designer had to painstakingly write hacks and workarounds to yield to its wrath. Unfortunately, 26% of people are using IE7, and 20% are still using IE6 (source).

But, I'm used to Internet Explorer, why should I switch?

1) If you're using IE, you're poisoning the productivity of web developers everywhere! Too manipulative? How about this? If you're using IE, you don't love me.

2) IE is NOT SECURE. On Tuesday, December 16, 2008 (that's today), BBC News published an article wherein web experts urged people to switch to a secure browser. Hackers have discovered exploits which let them steal your passwords. Currently, this happens very rarely, but...
"It won't be long before someone reverse engineers this exploit for more fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative web browser] is very sensible," he said.
3) Other browsers are awesome! My favorite one is Firefox. You can add in some really cool plugins that make your browser experience more enjoyable. Plus, Firefox will load your web pages much faster, and especially improve web-based applications like Gmail and other mail clients.

You can download all of these browsers for free and import all of your bookmarks from IE with a few simple clicks (they'll hold your hand after you install). It will take you less than five minutes. I promise you won't regret it. Here's the list:

Apple's Safari
Mozilla's Firefox
Google's Chrome

All excellent choices. Go now, and sin no more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I am a Firefox girl myself...is that less evil?

7:27 PM, December 17, 2008  
Blogger Emily and Clay said...

Hmmm...I switched to firefox at one point like you instructed, but somehow my internet explorer 7 is the default.

I need some major upgrades on my home computer anyways...I will add to the list because we do love you!

8:40 AM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

This is excellent news . . . I use Firefox, but Jac - who is of course otherwise brilliant - still insists on using IE. Thank you for the excellent arguments - they will be put to good use

3:03 PM, December 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm currently using the laptop you sold me Mike. To insure it was working at optimal levels, I replaced XP with a fresh layer of vista, made IE my default browser and set the homepage to virus.com. (which apparently is for sale)

12:20 AM, March 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home