Friday, June 13, 2008

So... what do you do again?

I'm a web designer. I know that sounds like a generic label, so if you prefer, you may also call me a front-end web developer, an interaction designer, a CSS guru, a usability ninja, or creative overlord. But really, I'm just a web designer. A lot of people (many of you, my friends and family) have asked about what it is I do exactly. I shall tell you!

I work for a company called Lead Media Partners. They're based out of South Jordan, so the commute is kind of a pain, but well worth the drive (and really not too bad considering I usually work from home 1 or 2 days of the week). We specialize in lead generation. Primarily for private online universities like University of Phoenix, DeVry University, Eagle Gate College, etc. We help connect students with schools we think will best match their interest by providing a database of accredited online college degrees. Prospective students can browse by study area, degree level, or location and our website, DegreeSearch.org, will attempt to match them up. Depending on what we know about the user (where they came from to get to our site) will determine which of our pages we send them to. Here's a few screenshots of some of the pages I've designed for DegreeSearch...




Designing websites gives me lots of opportunities to work with some great tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. It's fun to use both sides of brain at work. I'll do my mockups and design in the aformentioned programs, and then open up Dreamweaver to code some handcrafted xhtml and css. If you go to Deseret News or The Salt Lake Tribune online, some of the flash ads I've built are running on each of their pages. Right now, I think our health care ad is up. Looks like this:

I also did the flash on our company's website:
I really love my job. I work with some really great people. My bosses hired me on almost two years ago, and it's really been a blessing. They've been very accommodating with my crazy schedule trying to get through school and have given me periodic raises to help support my growing family. I get to work with another great designer, Joseph LeBaron, (we make up the "design team") who has taught me a lot about visual communication. He has also helped me perfect the art of seeding with David's JalapeƱo Hot Salsa Sunflower Seeds, and is a seasoned Halo 3 player (comes in handy for the occasional lunchtime mayhem).

Besides work and school, I try to fit in a little bit of freelance design on the side. Here are a few screenshots of some of the recent work I've done:


Studio 9 - Audio / Visual Studio in Roy.


Trust in Chariots, formerly Civil Difference. Website's not done yet, but we've got a sweet logo. Props to Matt Gibb for drawing the wings.

I also have a personal website with a portfolio and stuff, but I haven't updated it for a few years, so it definitely needs some work.

Cadence Design - Affordable Utah Web Design

Well, that's about it. I'm trying to slow the freelancing jobs down right now as my final semester of school is encroaching, but I'm excited to do some more side work in the future, and enjoying the work I can do at LMP right now.

Fin.

9 Comments:

Blogger VTS said...

Wow, Mike. You are one seriously talented guy!

I've recently been trying to create a web page for my business and it is alot tougher than I anticipated. You have a very impressive talent.

Are you ready for the Wasatch Back?! I'm not. Well, I'm pretending that I am.

9:26 AM, June 14, 2008  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

Thanks Vanessa!

The Wasatch Back? I haven't trained as hard as I'd have liked to but... bring it on baby!

6:51 PM, June 14, 2008  
Blogger lydia said...

Huh. You didn't tell me you updated your blog. Imagine my surprise.

I love your work, Hon! You are seriously talented. Thanks for working so hard and letting me and Kate have so much fun in the day together!

8:21 AM, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Jenny said...

Sweet! I love your work. I am currently trying to learn how to use Adobe Illustrator. It's not for the faint of heart. I like the top 3 ringed logo, too. Clean, simple, elegant. What a talented guy you are.

8:34 AM, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Emily and Clay said...

You are a champ! I love your work! Somday maybe I can learn some stuff to be cool like you. Who doesn't love photoshop?????

Hope you had a great Father's Day!

10:09 AM, June 16, 2008  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

Thanks guys! Jenny, if you're interested, I have a really good book I used to learn Illustrator I'd be happy to lend to you. Let me know.

9:14 AM, June 18, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh stop already . . . you're intelligent, good looking, a powerful overlord, bite well, convincing pirate impersonator AND a talented web-designer. Do you WANT Mom and Dad to forget about me? Just teasin' - I love you!! Thanks so much for sharing your work - it's so much fun to see what you've been working on - you really are amazing at what you do - always looks so clean, sophisticated, and also really creative!

9:36 PM, June 18, 2008  
Blogger Katherine said...

So when I read "We specialize in lead generation." I honestly thought, "What, they generate lead for pencils? Or for antique paint?" I've got to start getting more sleep. Or improving my reading skills...
Great work, by the way! Very impressive!

7:54 PM, July 01, 2008  
Blogger Juliana said...

I can't believe I've missed out on all the blogs this summer - that's too much going on! But bliss, I'm catching up - finally. And I must say, I'm a proud Mom with a seriously talented (and witty!) son. :)

Love you!

7:27 AM, September 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home