Friday, June 29, 2007

For precious sake

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Kate Metcalf. My Mama calls me Babykins or Baby Kate most of the time and Daddy likes to call me Katie-Kate or Katiebug, but both of them have called me Zeus, once or twice. I try not to let it bother me.
I went to the doctor yesterday and he told Mommy and Daddy that I am a perfect, healthy baby. They seemed very pleased by that! I am in the 90th percentile (whatever that means) for height and head size, and well above average for weight, too! In fact, I weigh 8 lbs. 5 oz. now, and I've grown a whole inch since I was born!
Most of the time I like to sleep and drink milk. Oh, I also make messes in my diaper and sometimes it gets on my clothes or on my changing table, but Mommy & Daddy don't get mad, they just sigh and clean it up for me. Mommy sings songs to me while I'm eating and Daddy dances with me to classical music when I can't sleep at night. They sure do love me.

Here are a couple of pictures of me yesterday, when I was two weeks old. Mommy says, sorry the pictures are so blurry!


This next picture is way old! Mommy took it on my first day home for the hospital, so I was only 2 days old. She says this is and probably always will be one of her very most favorite pictures of me.
And this is a picture of my nursery where I spend all but 2 or 3 hours of every day...can't wait to get out and see the world, but I guess I just have to get a little bigger and not sleep so much. Yep, that baby burrito in the crib is me! Mommy says to make sure to thank Uncle Greg and Aunt Jenn for the crib and changing table, Aunt Mindy for the crib bedding, and the nice people where she used to work for all being so generous that she was able to buy all the cute accessories for my nursery. I really like to listen to and watch my ladybug mobile as I am falling asleep.
Mama also said I better tell you some of her favorite things about me. I guess when I am falling asleep after I've just eaten I make a cute half smile every time! She loves that. She loves the way I smell and how soft my skin is. She also likes to rub her chin in my soft hair when I am laying on her chest while she is rocking me (and I like to listen to her heartbeat). She loves my beautiful blue eyes, but wonders what color they will end up being...It's my secret! Most of all, she feels so blessed that I am so easy to love, and that I am so healthy, and that she gets to be home with me everyday forever because Daddy works so hard and is so good at his job.

Well, I'm getting kind of sleepy now, so I guess I will have to talk to you all again later.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Oh my goodness. Melt my heart, why don't ya?
I LOVED this post. What a sweet little family you have created.
I am sitting here sniffing as hard as I can but I can't smell Kate's head or her sweet milk breath. Shucks! Guess I'll just have to come and see her again really soon.
We love you guys! You are such terrific parents already--Kate is very blessed.

8:04 PM, July 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm gonna cry. Katie-bug, you are precious. I really want to hold you tonight. Maybe I'll get lucky and dream about you tonight...maybe those tears on my pillow could be magic tears?

This is hard. I love you ALL so much.

Grandma Sniffles

8:19 PM, July 11, 2007  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

Hurray Lydi.. err um Kate! Your first blog post! Love to so much Katybug :)

Dad

11:22 PM, July 11, 2007  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

Love *YOU so much. Daddy has problems with his grammar past midnight. :)

11:26 PM, July 11, 2007  
Blogger Natalie said...

Lyd, Mom's favorite things are as sweet as I've ever heard. What about the little lip quiver before she cries? I love that. And I also love the Metcalf family. And I also love...

9:30 AM, July 12, 2007  
Blogger mikemetcalf said...

also love... what?! Tofu? Eagles? As Seen on TV Merchandise? What? You can't just leave us hanging like that.

9:46 AM, July 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I love these blogs! I was close to tears at the beginning of the comments after reading such a sweet entry from little Katy-bug. Wow! For a first timer - or experienced writer, Lydia - you're amazing. Then I read on to the bottom and found myself laughing out loud at the sparring remarks between Mike and Natalie. Too much fun!

Lydia, again, what a perfectly wonderful gift you have given your sweet baby girl. It captures the feelings of these first few days of her life perfectly - and with personality. And she won't miss the love that permeates every line. No question at all - her Mommy and Daddy love her so much!

Love to you all, Nana

1:21 PM, July 12, 2007  
Blogger Natalie said...

wolves. I also love wolves. Not necessarily live ones, I'm referring to beauty of the decorative kind. Just can't get enough of them. Wolves are classy yet fierce. I enjoy large fuzzy blankets with snarling wolves on them, or airbrushed onto the back of my favorite leather jacket (with fringe). Even better, airbrushed onto the side of my van. Like I said: classy. I wasn't going to share this deeply personal obsession of mine, but Mike, since you asked.
And don't even get me started on the dolphin room that Shanna sleeps in.

11:26 AM, July 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home